Men & Healing Phase II
This ten week, process-oriented group counselling program is designed for men who are on a journey of recovery from childhood sexual and/or physical abuse. Guided discussion, experiential exercises, and group support assists participants towards their goals.
Involvement in Men & Healing is based on clinical goals established by both the client and The Men's Project. Based on the client's assessment measures, his progress is then monitored throughout the program. Subsequent cycles of Men & Healing can be granted, based on the client's interest and the clinical measures of his progress.
The Men & Healing program operates in Ottawa. While Men & Healing does not have a set curriculum, participants should expect to receive the following awareness and skills training:
- Contain post-traumatic stress
- Manage regression and flashbacks
- Integrate childhood memories
- Express anger, shame, fear and other feelings safely
- Address the impact that the trauma has on family relationships
- Mourn one's losses
- Take responsibility for one's behaviour
- Become more aware of one's body and breathing
- Practice self care, curb self injury and befriend the body
- Develop and share a testimony describing the impact of the abuse
- Practice trust building and develop mutual support
- Integrate issues of sexuality and sexual expression
- Rediscover fun and joy in life
Graduates of the Men & Healing Phase I are eligible for the Men & Healing Phase II program.
Concurrent individual counselling is recommended.
All of our services are available to gay, straight and bisexual men.
The group program is offered on a sliding fee scale.