Fathering Group Program
This ten-week group counselling program is offered to men who wish to explore how parenting can be more rewarding, effective and fun! The focus of this program will explore current parenting issues in light of the participants' own childhood experiences. Using this lens, participants will learn to delve into new methods to effectively troubleshoot problems, handle feelings, and support each other in the journey and growth of becoming an effective and comfortable father.
Insight, guided discussion, educational material and role plays will help to address questions asked by fathers of children of all ages.
Founded on the premise that "all fathers are sons", this program is designed to accommodate men who experienced childhoods that were abusive or dysfunctional, or whose father figure was absent. Of course, all fathers are welcome.
While the Fathering program does not have a set curriculum, participants should expect to receive the following awareness and skills training:
- Effective parent-child communication
- Balancing discipline and love
- Balancing work and children
- How to be consistent
- Handling aggression and different methods of disciplining
- Exploring childhood developmental stages
- Creating cooperative families
- Enhancing children's self-esteem
- Keeping yourself encouraged
- Conflict resolution
- Skills to create closure, mourn loss, learn how to hear and be heard
An assessment interview is required before entry into the program.
Ray Robertson, MSW RSW
The assessment interview is $50.00 and lasts about 1 1/2 hours. The group program is offered on a sliding fee scale.